Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another Comparison
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Wed Dec 20 09:06:03 2006

When I first read Brian's comment about an IR problem I thought no
way. Then the more I thought about it the more I thought it might be
possible. Now I don't know anything about photo sensors or amplifiers
in the visible light range, but I do know about RF amplifiers,
detectors  and amplifiers in general. Since the M8 sensor is allowing
a much greater frequency bandwidth from Uv to IR, the power to the
amplifier increases and creates an increase in distortion and makes
the amplifier much easier to overload. In order to avoid overload the
signal to the amplifier is reduced by gain reducing the circuit. The
amount of gain reduction (AGC) is controlled in the design of the
amplifier The design curve of this AGC system can be developed in the
lab on a test bench by duplicating the actual operating conditions of
the total system. However this is under ideal conditions using test
generators of the input spectrum of concern, visible light. However
if the incoming spectrum in the finished product is greater than what
the design model was set up for, you can go into an overload
condition. However it is not that easy to develop a perfect AGC
system.  If you gain reduce the system too much, you introduce noise.
That may be what the increased noise is from in the higher ISO
ranges. The system may be in an over AGC'ed mode and still not fully
getting out of overload. The amount of AGC is also probably
controlled by the ISO setting. Dropping the ISO and then decreasing
the exposure would certainly reduce noise, but also increase the
likelyhood of overload.

Please forgive my ramblings. I'm still thinking like an engineer. It
makes sense to me, though.

Len