Subject: [Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?
From: harrison at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Thu Dec 21 06:56:24 2006

vick.ko@sympatico.ca wrote:
> Bingo!  Thank you Allen.
>
> Last thing I want to be doing is buying more lenses.  I do have a few AI
> lenses.
>
> But I understand due to body thicknesses, the Nikon can never take Leica
> glass.  The Canon can take Leica glass with the adapter.
>
> Is that so?

Yes...and the Canon can take Nikon with the adapter.  If you already
have Nikon glass get the D200, you will not be unhappy you did.  I
really like that camera.  In almost everyway it is a great body.  One
thing I really like that it has are 5 preset custom white balances.
VERY nice.

Also the D200 screen is very nice for manual focus...the Canon's screens
are not, to say the least.

Following is what I wrote to the camera club I am VP of after using the
D200 for a week...for whatever it is worth:

Well...as most of you know I have been shooting Canon gear for most of
my career.  I started off with a Canon A1, then went to the new F1.  In
Atlanta I switched to Nikon and shot FM2, F3, F4, n8008.  Then went back
to EOS after I was handed one at Super Bowl 28 to play with.

Anyway the past few days I have been playing with Robin's D200, giving
it a work through since so many people in the nikon camp rave about this
camera.  Well......

For what that camera costs it is amazing.  It is worth far more that a $1350
camera!  It has great AF response, and this is using the old 80-200, not
the new AFS version.  The color is great, I LOVE the fact you can store
5 custom white balance presets.  The files are very clean, they do get
somewhat noisy at 1000 and above, especially when you are used to
Canon's almost perfect high ISO files.  The camera fits well in my hands
and the viewfinder is quite bright and it manual focuses very easily
with my old Nikkor 300 2.8 EDIF.  The meter is dead on accurate.

In addition to this camera I also have a D50...which is a sleeper
camera, IMHO.  That little sub $500 camera is really a joy to shoot
with.  I love its size, it has 1600 ISO that is almost as good as my EOS
1DII has, but it only weighs about as much as a Leica M.......

I think now to say one system is better than another is frivolous when
comparing the cameras themselves.  I think you need to look beyond the
cameras and at the whole system and what you want to shoot....for me
Canon is still the best fit as they have full frame sensors and I can
get wider lens coverage, and they also have the tilt AND shift lenses
that I want.

Oh well just my 2 cents for what ever that is worth.

--
Harrison McClary
Harrison McClary Photography

Replies: Reply from jkoplen at mindspring.com (Julian Koplen) ([Leica] The slippery slope - "digital"?)