Subject: [Leica] Best flash for M8?
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Wed Dec 27 21:56:37 2006

Lucien.....I read through the entire Kodak datasheet on the sensor.....  It
is very interesting ( for those of us that like these
things).  Warning to others..... Tech Talk going on here......Use Delete key
as required dependent on your personal
constitution.......WARNING>>>> Very nerdy, tech talk going on here......

The section you quoted is the description of how the light gets put into
electrical signals for the camera.  It refers to the
over-charged functions.  What happens when too much light hits the sensor
and it overloads.... ( and gets dumped into an overload
area on chip to be dumped later).

The black bias offset is done using pixels outside the image area.  There is
an area in there that is covered by the blue mask.
Could be used for IR correction SW.  ( nice touch Kodak!)

Nice graph of spectral response of the bare chip with standard cover glass
installed ..... Leica is a special case, so this chart is
not the one for the M8.....   But there is another graph of quantum
efficiency with increasing oblique angle of light that is just
plain fascinating....  at 33 degrees from perpendicular, the QE drops to 50%
of perpendicular.  As this is a known effect, a
calibration can be done to null out the effect, if you know what lens has
what is the amount of the oblique rays.  Thus a reason for
the lens coding, if Leica uses this functionality.

Lest I drive some poor digital guy nuts, I will not comment on the number of
defect location that are acceptable on the chip.......

I further chased the application information of this chip.  There is an
evaluation board, but the tech info for the board is not on
line.  So I went to a similar sensor, the KAF-31600.  While not the same
sensor as Leica, the in-application use of the two parts
should be the same... so here goes....

Now for those that wish to not read tech talk.... go away... push
delete.....do not read......if you do read, do not make a fuss
just because it is tech talk....

The app board shows the integration of the device with a Altera PLD logic
device to program and code the sensor so you can get
something into and out of it.  In real applications, it is most likely that
the logic device would be supplemented by a uP, but
maybe not.  You might need both the logic device and the uP to make a real
M8 In any event, the app board shows timing, signals, and
to some degree, how the system actually operates.  Mind you, I am reading
the Kodak info, I am not reading a Leica tech write up on
the M8...

The Altera device may be in circuit programmable.  ( Altera have both
"field" programmable and non-changeable coded devices.).  In
addition, some of the filed programmable parts are not really field
programmable but programmable in the factory.  This may be the
device that needs to be updated by Leica for the Germany recall for various
striping issues.....

I am not going to get into the 1's and 0's of the application.  ( It would
bore even me...)  But I am going to call out some signals
and their purpose....

First the Integration clock.  A 1ms ( precision) pulse that is used to set
internal timing in the sensor, and " May also be used to
control  precise integration times for the image sensor."    The timing of
the integration of the light into a electronic signal is
controlled by this.  This is part of  the shutter speed timing circuitry.
After the integration time is complete, the frame is
transferred to the outputs.  ( the image is actually recorded during the
integration time  ALL ELEMENTS AT ONE TIME.)   This is
important because it really tells us that the entire sensor array is
collecting photons at the same time... so a slit shutter can
NOT work with this sensor.

Further, there is an auxiliary chip that sets timing for the CCD (
KSC-1000).  The datasheet is a bit older, but assuming it is
still correct, it gives more information on the operation of the Integration
function...
" INTG_STRT Setup Register
Electronic shuttering is used with the Kodak family of interline sensors.
The figure below illustrates the electronic shutter timing
with respect to the image sensor horizontal and vertical clocks. "
It gets MUCH more nerdy after this.... so enough already.....

Since, according to drPreview, the "shutter" in the M8 seems alike to the
shutter in the R8 ( R9 ?), then I can makes some comment
on the M8 shutter ....  If the shutter on the R8 is fully open at one time
up to 1/250 of a second, and then goes to a slit shutter
for high speeds; and if the shutter in the M8 is the same or basically
similar, then the maximum mechanical shutter speed available
in the M8 is the same, 1/250.  This is true because the M8 must have the
entire sensor active at one time to get an image.  A slit
shutter will not work.  Further, there is no higher speed on the mechanical
shutter on the M8 than the 1/250 of a second, or what I
call a fully open shutter.  Talking flash, there still is no reason for
limiting the flash to a shutter speed 1/250 that is obvious
at this point.

Second the Flush commands.....   This is a set of commands to flush the
entire sensor array from residual charge.  Basically a no
light - black bias point.  This precedes the actual integration timing, and
sets up the sensor for image collection.

OK, I could go further, but I think tech time talk is over.   Ted is
probably drinking his Single malt and finished the bottle after
all this stuff.  But I have proven to myself, using the available technical
information published by Kodak, that the M8 is a fully
electronic gated sensor/shutter.  That the mechanical shutter is used for
some purposes, but it has nothing to do with the operation
of image capture.  It is a baffle.

I am still open to correction and further information may require that
statement by me.  But at this point, it is pretty clear to me
that the image capture in the M8 is totally digital.  That the shutter has
no purpose in image capture, and therefore I call it a
baffle.

What does all of this mean?  That your M8 should never have to go to the
shop for a shutter CLA to make your camera capture images.
Not much more.  But I did have a really good time reading timing charts and
understanding how the sensor works..... What's a few
hours of quiet reading worth?  Priceless?

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

INTG_STRT Setup Register
Electronic shuttering is used with the Kodak family of interline sensors.
The figure below illustrates the electronic shutter timing
with respect to the image sensor horizontal and vertical clocks. Tel, the
electronic shutter setup time, is the time from the end of
the horizontal clocks to the start of the electronic shutter pulse. Ts is
the electronic shutter pulse width. Tsd, the electronic
shutter hold time, is the time from the trailing edge of the electronic
shutter pulse to the start of the vertical clocking
interval. Note that the line time on which the integrate start pulse is
generated is extended by the setup time, shutter pulse width
and hold time. Tvccd and Thd are the standard vertical clock pulse width and
delay time from the completion of the vertical clock
sequence to the start of horizontal clocking. These times are defined in the
Line Tables.

Replies: Reply from lucien_vd at mac.com (lucien_vd@mac.com) ([Leica] Best flash for M8?)