Subject: [Leica] WTB : Noctilux (UK)
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Dec 30 09:24:12 2006

isn't the 58mm version rarest of the f1.0 noctiluxen?

of the 4 versions, the 58mm was the first, the 2nd and 3rd
had 60mm threads and (incompatible) detachable hoods and the
4th (and present) the 60mm thread and the telescoping hood.

according to my Sartorius, the E58 covers serial numbers from
approximatly 2,740,000 to 2,919,656.  cross-referencing with
Rogliatti, this covers up to 1978, so you'd be looking at
lenses made in 1976, 1977 and 1978.

i personally like the Gen III with the nice big detachable hood,
that shade would seem to offer better protection from stray light
as well as physical protection from knocks.

-rei