Subject: [Leica] OT: HK Hotel prices
From: bcaldwell51 at earthlink.net (Bryan Caldwell)
Date: Tue Jan 2 22:15:50 2007

Richard,

I'm a pretty frequent visitor to HK and have stayed at a variety of
hotels. The Salisbury YMCA was my mainstay for several years, but
their prices (like that of most HK hotels) have increased markedly in
the past few years and they are often completely booked. Don't let
the name turn you off. This is unlike any other YMCA in the world and
couldn't have a better location - right next to the Peninsula (one of
the world's finest hotels) and offering many rooms with views of
Victoria Harbour. On the HK side, check out the Bishop Lei
International House. It's at the top of the escalators in the
Midlevels and has rooms with spectacular views, but is a bit of a
walk from most places you may want to go. On my last trip (just over
a month ago) I stayed at the Ramada Kowloon for a week and was very
pleased. The Kowloon Hotel also has a nice location (right behind the
Peninsula) but has gotten pricey and has incredibly small rooms (hard
to find room to open your suitcase).

All of these hotels have websites (do Google searches) what I do
before a HK trip is send out a bunch of emails requesting quotes and
then decide and book directly with the hotel - using a map to compare
locations. Beware that, unless otherwise specified, rooms are subject
to 13% taxes and fees and in-room internet access is usually in the
neighborhood of US$15 per day. It's wise to ask about these things in
your email.

Good luck,

Bryan