Subject: [Leica] Aperture, Lightroom and Photoshop
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Jan 6 14:02:57 2007

Both Aperture and Lightroom are compliments to Photoshop. Neither
offer the kind of manipulation that Photoshop provides: layers,
masking, etc.

Aperture is lagging behind Lightroom at this point in my opinion. I
have both and have been using Aperture regularly. I use Lightroom less
often although I feel that it does more things for manipulation that
photographers like than Aperture does. Aperture excels at making books
- I have done more than a few and the results have been very positive.

I gather from reading Luminous Landscape that Lightroom may be
released "shortly" - and MacWorld would be a natural for that. I
suspect that a major update to Aperture will happen as well, perhaps
to be discussed at MacWorld.

Having these products out there is great for the breed. Certainly
Aperture prompted Adobe to pull the code for Lightroom off the back
burner. And Aperture offers Apple a way to make their own
image-editing software, perhaps one aimed at photographers (and film
makers) designed from first principals for that use. There's a lot in
Photoshop I never even THINK about using and, as someone on this list
who has worked in the field, there are some non-layer-based programs
out there in the high-end of the film industry which could serve as
models. Maybe that would kick Adobe into a new more-useful product!

Adam