Subject: [Leica] Re: Questions abour recent M3 repair
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie)
Date: Sun Jan 7 13:48:54 2007

Charlie Meyer wrote:
>Back then, I once envied the  Photographer's Mate rating,
>but the community was so small, that one probably had to kill
>someone to get a promotion.
------------------------------

Well Charlie, as a retired Navy Photo Officer myself, I can tell
you that moving up the ladder (both enlisted and officer) was
extremely competitive, however, I don't think I'm on any wanted
posters!  ;-))  Welcome aboard!!

Your post brought back some memories.  I wonder how many
people on this list could survive the shock of watching 25/30
complete M4 kits (each consisting of one body, 90 and 35
elmarit, and 50 DR cron w/eyes) stacked in a truck and headed
for Defense Property Disposal simply because they were over
5 years old??  Auctioned off in lots of 5 or 10 kits each.  :-(

BTW, you a "Mustang" also??

Montie
--------

>I'm new here, but in my research to soak up as much as I can about
>the DS M3 I won the lottery on, I seem to recall reading somewhere
>that DAG had bought up the US Navy M4 parts, for example.  I'm a
>retired Navy Supply Corps officer and submariner, and we had a
>provisioning process for equipment that tried to stock replacement
>parts based upon life cycle repair/overhaul needs.  There was also a
>disposal process where DRMO would auction off spares for systems no
>longer in service in the fleet. One could imagine that indies like
>Don and Sherry, et al, were able to stash away parts from many
>sources that the beancounters at Leica could not justify maintaining
>in stock as a manufacturer. Inventory costs money....and Leica is no
>stranger to money problems.

>There were also lots of Leica M pix in old training manuals such as
'>Photographer's Mate 3 & 2' (c. 1970s).  Back then, I once envied the

Replies: Reply from charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer) ([Leica] Re: Questions abour recent M3 repair)