Subject: [Leica] Wireless Question (A related concern)
From: rdandcb at home.netspeed.com.au (Rick Dykstra)
Date: Mon Jan 8 23:24:39 2007

I learnt the hard way - I'm convinced the kid next door was surfing
hard through my un-secured wireless.  Cost me a couple of hundred in
excess download fees, back when I had a limited plan.  Caused me to
switch ISPs of course.  Some ISPs have figured out that the quickest
way to lose customers is to charge excess fees.  Better to just
throttle their speed right back when they hit their limit.

So, I now have the Apple Airport Extreme set up so that:
- it allows only our laptops to connect;
- it requires an encrypted password to connect;
- it doesn't broadcast its presence.  If you don't know the name of
the network, you can't even find it.

Nice 'n secure (I think)!

I couple of years back I was at a love-in conference for the week.
Venue - a luxurious winery with the most wonderful and generous
hosts.  During the week they set up a wireless system for their admin
computers.  At an after dinner wine tasting session I opened my
laptop and it found the network, totally insecure.  "Do you want to
join the network 'Winery'?" I read aloud.  "Yeah, I guess so.
Perhaps I can check my emails."  The host heard me and tuned in,
curious as to the result.  "Right.  Yep, I can see some folders.
Finances, Clients, Staffing, .. Yep, I'm in.  I'm into 'Fran'."
Quick as a flash the host cried, "That's my wife, you cad!"

Next morning we talked about security.  The computer dudes who set it
up for him hadn't even mentioned it.

Rick.