Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: smcj35 at yahoo.com (Colin J)
Date: Wed Jan 10 14:00:56 2007

B. D. Colen wrote:

>But if precisely the same $4800 camera - looked and felt like a film M, nice
>bright viewfinder, solidly built, M lens mount, 10 mpg - with precisely the
>same problems - electronic but no dust or moisture seals, banding, IR
>weirdness, green blobs, questionable battery life, need for IR cut-off
>filters on lenses, noise levels much, much higher than Canon's, etc. etc. -
>were manufactured by Nikon, Canon, Cosina, or Zeiss for that matter, would
>you still call it "a great camera and worth the extra learning curve?"

Of course not, because it would not be a Leica!

Those of us using Canon EOS 5D would also consider such a camera a very big
step down in terms of its imaging ability.

With film, the reasons for buying into the Leica M system included the
superlative image quality of which the system is capable.

With digital, maybe it is not physically possible to make a rangefinder
camera that supplies images as well as the "industry standard" Canon EOS 5D.
  If it *is* physically possible, then the Leica M8 is certainly not that
camera.

The M8.2 or M9 might be a step *towards* that camera, but the M8 is a very
long way away, which is why I cancelled my order.  GBP 2990 (US $4795) is a
very expensive price to pay for entry to a beta test programme.

Colin

The all-new Yahoo! Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from
your Internet provider. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html