Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: bd at bdcolenphoto.com (B. D. Colen)
Date: Fri Jan 12 04:46:17 2007

The following comment has NOTHING to do with the M8, or why anyone would buy
it - nor is it commenting on the motivations of anyone on this list:

To say that people do not buy expensive things simply to demonstrate that
they are able to do so is to say that black is not a dark color, and white
is not bright. All one has to do is look at the ads for, the marketing of,
so called luxury brands to understand this. Would someone please point me to
the Rollex ad that claims Rollex watches tell time better than any other
watches? In fact, would someone point me to a Rollex ad in any major
publication that indicates that Rollex watches are used to tell time?

It is certainly true that there are people who buy high-end goods for the
sheer joy of owning something that is equisitely well made. But most of such
products are sold as status symbols to people who feel the need to show off
their bank statements.