Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri Jan 12 15:55:24 2007

I think B. D. is correct about high-end goods and status. It's how a lot
of things are sold.  The way I look at it is that the status seekers make
it possible for the goods to exist.  So then I can later buy them used for
a price I can afford.  :-)

"Snob-appeal marketing" opens up the whole can of worms about a consumer
society whose values are largely determined by the incessant drumbeat of
marketing. "You are what you buy," Keeping Up With the Joneses, and so
forth.  It's a false god which is worshipped by far too many of both the
haves and the have-nots.

But pity the hapless Leica owners who simply uses Leica because it's the
best photographic tool for him or her--for whatever reason.  Every so
often, they are going to be set upon by a scold who looks at a high-end
label as a cue to vent their rage at a "fat cat."  Or one who believes
that the Leica user is blinded by brand loyalty to the fact that the
latest DSLR "will do everything and more than the Leica does, for far
less."  For examples of both, see the Leica forum on Photo.net any day.
And sometimes even here.

That's one reason why I cover the Leica logos on my cameras with black
tape.  I don't want anyone to assume I am:

A. Filthy rich and therefore responsible for poverty and racism, or
B. A mindless status-seeker with more bucks than brains,

. . .and proceed to hassle me for said crimes against humanity. Or try to
rip me off.

I just want to take pictures, unobtrusively with the camera that has
proven best for me.  And yes, I do have pride of ownership of "something
that is exquisitely well-made."

People who recognize a Leica M without the logos visible are more likely
to be non-thieves and non-hostile (I think, I hope!). I'm happy to have a
pleasant chat with photography afficianados of the latter stripe.

--Peter "I bought 'em used" Klein

Replies: Reply from dommorris at rogers.com (Dominic Morris) ([Leica] M8 Article in LFI)