Subject: [Leica] M8 Article in LFI
From: dommorris at rogers.com (Dominic Morris)
Date: Fri Jan 12 23:06:13 2007

Thanks, Peter.

I have been following this 'consumerism' sub-thread with a great deal
of interest and your note comes closest to my own feelings.  My  M8
is paid for with delivery pending but as my bride  takes that long,
very leisurely stroll down the aisle, I'm still questioning my sanity
and vanity.

Look, I don't own a car. I buy my clothes at Mark's Work Warehouse.
When I want to go up-market I'll drop into Eddie Bauer. I don't own a
house preferring a too-small downtown apartment. I will confess to
choosing my place because it's in a pretty funky neighbourhood and
to  wearing a 12 year old Movado  but so non-flash you have to squint
to see the label, and my apartment is furnished with much-loved 14
year old furniture that was up-scale but not top-of-the-line when
new. When I did own a car it was an Olds Omega and it was a reliable
companion for close to 12 years. Not quite the 20 promised by the
Mercedes dealer but I understand what he meant. I have a small
collection of Innuit carvings. Not the big honking things the
tourists buy but intimate, pocket-sized pieces with clean simple
simple lines, true to the nomadic soul of the culture that gave them
birth.

These few things I acquired as an investment in soulfulness. In the
aesthetics. Re ipso. In the thing itself, if my Latin still serves,
or as you so aptly put it 'taking pride of ownership of "something
that is exquisitely well-made."'  Somewhere I have an Aran sweater
that's probably older than some in this group. Hell, it's way older
than me! It is one of those things that is more than just a thing.

As I expect will the M8, in addition to the pragmatism of its sleek,
unobtrusive lines and superior image quality.  it  will also be a
cruel task-master, leaving me to make my own mistakes. No longer will
I be able to blame that blankety-blank auto-focus/exposure/white
balance thing-a-ma-jig. It will force me to relearn properly the
stuff I thought I knew in the 70s and that appeals to both my control
freak side and my innate masochism.

And talk about a great place to get that learning! Man this group of
people is the mother-lode.

Think I might have said too much, but not changing a word. Sorry.

And to all a good night.

Dom