Subject: OT RE: [Leica] There's something about German design ...
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Mon Jan 15 21:20:33 2007

I often guessed that The Empire always sent their colonies' forces into the
worst harm's way saving their precious troops for the less hazardous forays.
Maybe an explanation for the high rate of casulties?

G Hopkinson <hoppyman@bigpond.net.au> wrote:  Marc for your interest, some
figures provided by the Australian War Memorial.
I referred to numbers serving, rather than per capita, which you have
mentioned in your response.

"Australian population 1914-1918: four million.

416, 809 Australians enlisted for service in the First World War,
representing 38.7% of the total male population aged between 18 to
44.

At end of war:

Outcome Number affected
died 58,961
wounded 166,811
missing or prisoners of war 4,098
suffered from sickness 87,865

At almost 65%, the Australian casualty rate (proportionate to total
embarkations) was the highest of the war."

Appalling statistics by any measure

Hoppy