Subject: [Leica] DNG Raw and Capture One or Silky Pix...
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue Jan 16 13:12:51 2007

On 17/01/2007, at 1:53, Howard Cummer wrote:

> Hello Alastair!
> You have an exceptional talent for understatement concerning the
> amount of work required to use the M8 DNR files with Capture One
> LE. I got so fed up this morning trying to get my desk top Mac G4
> to "dance" with the C One download that I finally packed up my G4
> powerbook, took it over to the local Apple store, and had them load
> the C 1 program into the portable. I took step-by-step notes about
> accessing the images on the SD card after it is inserted in the
> reader and then went home and reinstalled C1 on the desk top G4.
> Then finally, I could download the 70 or so DNR pictures that I had
> taken. I was amazed that this took about an hour. I am not used to
> such slowness and wonder if that is really the way C 1 is. So far,
> I am not impressed, and have now down loaded the updated version of
> Silky Pix (which I have some experience with - given that it came
> packed with the Lumix L1). This may be a better way for me to go.
> Despite all this software futzing around, the M8 itself is
> performing well - I have had one colour cast problem in JPEG so far
> and got some help to sort that out in Photoshop. Autowhite balance
> is not very good in artificial light so there is a big incentive to
> shot RAW if possible. The physical handling of the camera is just
> fine - very sweet in fact - but i have detected a slight back focus
> with the 90 summicron APO wide open. Of course my trifocal eyes may
> have a bit to do with that. I am off to Pondicherry, India, next
> week and then we will see how the camera performs. Life is good -
> hope the same is true for you.

Indeed life is good here, though hot, and there is not enough time to
do the things we love ;-) My M8 came with the software, but not the
code to use it, so I had to write to Leica to have the code password
"revealed". I have not really used it since, as I now load all the
images into bridge and PS from there.

Have a great trip to India: ENVY ;-)

Cheers

Alastair and Helen