Subject: [Leica] DNG Raw and Capture One or Silky Pix...
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Tue Jan 16 06:53:42 2007

Hello Alastair!
You have an exceptional talent for understatement concerning the
amount of work required to use the M8 DNR files with Capture One LE.
I got so fed up this morning trying to get my desk top Mac G4 to
"dance" with the C One download that I finally packed up my G4
powerbook, took it over to the local Apple store, and had them load
the C 1 program into the portable. I took step-by-step notes about
accessing the images on the SD card after it is inserted in the
reader and then went home and reinstalled C1 on the desk top G4. Then
finally, I could download the 70 or so DNR pictures that I had taken.
I was amazed that this took about an hour. I am not used to such
slowness and wonder if that is really the way C 1 is. So far, I am
not impressed, and have now down loaded the updated version of Silky
Pix (which I have some experience with - given that it came packed
with the Lumix L1). This may be a better way for me to go. Despite
all this software futzing around, the M8 itself is performing well -
I have had one colour cast problem in JPEG so far and got some help
to sort that out in Photoshop. Autowhite balance is not very good in
artificial light so there is a big incentive to shot RAW if possible.
The physical handling of the camera is just fine - very sweet in fact
- but i have detected a slight back focus with the 90 summicron APO
wide open. Of course my trifocal eyes may have a bit to do with that.
I am off to Pondicherry, India, next week and then we will see how
the camera performs. Life is good - hope the same is true for you.
Cheers,
Howard

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] DNG Raw and Capture One or Silky Pix...)