Subject: [Leica] binoculars - looking for assistance
From: Thinkofcole at aol.com (Thinkofcole@aol.com)
Date: Thu Jan 18 10:01:47 2007

If you want a binocular mainly for birding, you want  one where the bird's
image doesn't jump around because it's difficult to  hold the binocular
entirely
steady without a tripod...The stronger the  binocular's power -- your
Voitlaender is 7 power -- the harder it is to hold  steady on the
bird...Therefore, I
suggest no more than 6  power.

Your Voitlaender also has a very small opening of  17mm, which means that it
while this makes your binocular very lightweight,  you get very little light
on cloudy days.  Therefore I suggest 30mm or  40mm.

That means you would be looking for a 6 x 30 or 6 x 40  binocular.

Next you want to decide whether you want what is  called Individual Focusing
[IF], where you focus each eye individually...or  center focus [CF], where
you
have a knurl in the center of the binocular that  you turn to focus your
left
eye only and then, using the focusing feature on the  right eyepiece, you
focus the right eye separately...

Most modern binoculars, including yours, come  with the folding feature you
describe to fit your eyes.

As for the brand, many have already been  mentioned...On the high side,
around $1,000 usd or so when brand new,  are  Leitz/Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss
and
others...Somewhat less are Steiner, Nikon,  Fujinon, and others... Vintage
Bausch
& Lomb are also excellent, if made in  the U.S.A.  A great, not-to-expensive
brand is Swift...Audubon, the bird  society, also offers a few excellent
models at moderate  prices.

One caution: If you buy a used binocular, look through  it from the wrong
end
to make sure that the glass is clean and the prisms are  not chipped...Then
look through them at, say, the side of a building to make  sure that the two
sides of the binocular are in alignment and that you see just  one image,
rather
than one a little [or a lot] higher than the other.

If you pay via PayPal, they typically will not help  get a refund if you get
cheated...If you pay by an established credit card, you  stand a better
chance
of getting fair treatment in the event of a problem with  the binocular...

One other thing: If you buy a major  used binocular in less-than-great
condition, it might cost $50-$100 usd to  have it professionally cleaned and
aligned[collimated] but not much in the  outside cosmetics if the metal's
scratched
or the leather is missing... Also  check to see you don't have cross-hairs
inside that generally come with military  binoculars.

I hope this helps...bob cole

I don't  know anything about birding but I've got a pair of Voigtlaender
binoculars  (Dynaret 7x17) which I really like. They'd be in your middle
price
range,  around USD 200 I guess. They're very small because they fold in
quite a
special way, which I find hard to describe - they don't actually fold but
you
slide them apart in order to adjust the distance of the lenses to the
distance  of your eyes. They're so small and light that I carry them with me
almost
all  the time (even though I live in Hong Kong, where wildlife is relatively
rare  ...). Lens quality is really good; I have to admit though that a small
Carl  Zeiss pair (around USD 500) which I tried before I bought the
Voigtlaender
seemed even sharper.