Subject: [Leica] M8 - she has arrived!
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Thu Jan 18 19:09:08 2007

Boy - the world seems flooded with these puppies.

Mine is sitting on the dining room table while the battery charges.
I've been squirreling away SD cards (use them in my Canon too,
although up to this point not so much) so everything is ready.

I was intending to do one of those great "unpacking" slide shows but
UPS delivered in the middle of supper and my fearless spouse was all
"let's open it". Both of us felt the same packaging sensibility we get
from Apple products was in evidence - the instructions were right
there - good diagram in the packaging material itself about where
things were. I was surprised there wasn't a plastic sheet over the
LCD's face, although there wasn't a sign of a scratch. The
rangerfinder window and viewfinder windows both show the purple of an
optical coating that I don't remember seeing on my M6ttls.

The instructions are well ordered so I was quickly guided through the
process of removing the European flavor plug on the power adapter and
inserting the US version. Disappointed to find that this either needs
a small cord or power squid or must plug into the wall direclty -
there's no power pig-tail from the charger to the plug like there is
for the R8's motor drive power supply.

The battery is amazingly small compared to even that in the Canon 10D
or D30. The battery for the 1Ds Mk II is almost the weight of the M8
(or so it seems.)

So dinner is now finished, SWMBO is at the school district office
wending her way through the possibilities of closing a school, and
unexpected company is about to arrive after they so hopefully thought
they might partake of the halibut we had prepared. (Fat chance - we
buy fish in quantities just suitable for ourselves. We have offered
the roasted root vegetables though in case they don't find something
good at the store....)

So - something in the not-too-distant future it'll be first light for
the M8. My previous cameras have used my loving wife as first subject.
She won't be back until almost midnight. To wait or not to
wait....that is the question.

Charging...charging...charging....

Adam