Subject: [leica] photographing the homeless - yo yo yo, hold up!
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Fri Jan 19 17:34:01 2007

okay okay, as alistair very correctly pointed out i'm a big boy and i can
take care of myself -- you can all stop dogpiling larry.

it's my own fault -- i don't post as much here as i used to and when i do, i
just assume that we're all the same crowd that we've always been, without
pause to the thought that there might be new people here who don't share our
communal memory.

years ago (it's shocking to think how many) on this list i'd posted ten
things that i found most vexing about people with leicas which is in
embarrassingly bad HTML and can be found here:

  http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/leicaslacker/plug/10/index.html

as i've gotten older, i've found more reasons to bend a few of them, but at
their core, i believe they're still sound. what irks me about photos of the
homeless is when people do it from across the street. if you're going to
photograph the homeless, you need to be in their faces, you need to know
their names, they need to know your name, you need to invest the time before
you can take the credit. want to photograph the homeless? do it like mary
ellen mark, if you're not willing to get your fingers dirty, leave them
alone, don't pretend you're being socially responsible by turning your head
long enough to steal a shot at 1/125 of a second before trodding home in
your mephisto walking shoes and thinking no more about it until you hang the
photo you entitle "how little we care" in your show at the corner coffee
shop.

the lug actually has a laudable history of fundraising to provide a
scholarship to send someone somewhere to photograph something. in 200...3?
or 2002 maybe, we raised lots of money to send a photography student to
romania to photograph the homeless kids living in the sewers. he spent three
months in the sewers, getting dirty, getting beaten up, having his heart
broken again and again, and he produced some really amazing, shocking,
captivating, and beautiful photographs that we should all be proud of.
that's the right way.

i apologise to larry -- he walked into a party in progress. it's
heartwarming that so many people will stand up for me, but it's really my
bad.  i'm sorry about that larry.

anyway -- i'm very interested in carrying on a discussion of how we as
photographers approach delicate situations -- when are we taking advantage
of people?  when are we doing a service? when do you photograph tragedy, and
when do you put your camera down.

keep pushing that shutter button, it'll come unstuck,

kc

Replies: Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([leica] photographing the homeless - yo yo yo, hold up!)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([leica] photographing the homeless - yo yo yo, hold up!)
Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([leica] photographing the homeless - yo yo yo, hold up!)