Subject: [leica] photographing the homeless
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Fri Jan 19 18:55:07 2007

george sed:

>I think the question to ask is: in the end, are you doing it for your own
>benefits, their benefits, or other people's benefits?

i dont think that's quite it -- i don't think there's necessarily a
qualification at all that you have to be doing it to _help_ someone else,
but rather that you'll be honest to someone else -- let's say you're
photographing someone who you find morally reprehensible -- i'll use the KKK
as an example -- let's say you're tasked to photograph them -- i dont think
that you have an obligation to take a photograph that _benefits_ the KKK --
and i think this is true for homeless people and any other photograph you
take -- i think you have an obligation to _photograph them well_.

that means, if your editor sends you to photograph the KKK, or the American
Nazi Party, or the Taliban, or whomever,  that you'll spend the time with
them to know them, know their names, know their ideas, and that you'll take
a photograph that isn't cheap, that is a photograph that is the best
photograph you can take and that represents your subjects as _honestly_ as
time and circumstances permit. and that you will use this same photographic
integrity when you photograph the homeless and when you photograph the queen
of england.

kc

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George) ([leica] photographing the homeless)
Reply from richard-lists at imagecraft.com (Richard) ([leica] photographing the homeless)