Subject: [Leica] A black M2--I touched one today!
From: len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier)
Date: Sat Jan 20 06:46:22 2007

Bill,

The black M2 is fairly rare but I think there were 2000 or so made.
The price is determined by supply and demand. If that collector has
been looking for that body for some time and this one pops up, and he
has the money, $5000 is maybe not too much to pay. The really rare
bodies like the original MP, the 72 half frame and the reporters can
cost in the tens of thousands. I handled a model 72 and had the same
feeling you did. The problem these days is the thousands of fakes out
there. The real collectors have to be so careful in what they buy.

Len