Subject: [leica] photographing the homeless - yo yo yo, hold up!
From: rmcclure2 at woh.rr.com (Rob McClure)
Date: Sat Jan 20 07:09:08 2007

Alastair,

I share your sentiments about intruding -- one of the reasons I have
avoided street photography.  Instead, I violate several of Kyle's Rules
and take lots of buildings, etc.

Recently, I again visited the makeshift Flight 93 crash site memorial
in Shanksville, Pa.  Many people were quietly wandering around the
site, examining the many mementos and viewing off into the distance
toward the barely-visible crater where the victims of the flight are
entombed.  A number of people were carrying cameras so I felt rather
brave with my  unobtrusive M4-2 and was able to capture a number of
moving moments (a mother bending over trying to explain it all to her
young daughter, a veteran looking off toward the crater, etc.)  Most
people looking probably thought I was just photographing the scene and
not people.  After viewing the technically-great (if I do say so
myself) pictures, I felt guilty -- wondering whether this was like
"shooting fish in a barrel" or more important -- was I taking advantage
of peoples personal grief?  The memorial is always very moving to me
personally, so I also feltl guilty that I didn't focus enough on its
meaning, but instead concentrated more on taking picutures.  I just
don't know...

Rob McClure

Message from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([leica] photographing the homeless - yo yo yo, hold up!)