Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless "smug Europeans"
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sat Jan 20 15:28:19 2007

 From what I read recently there are at least 1700 young people ( 12
-17) living rough in London - runaways, for want of a better term. Add
the hard-line tramps, bag-ladies, alcoholics, junkies and destitutes
you'll probably get a figure of nearer to 10000 in London alone. Even
though the Big Issue and other projects have helped a lot of people to
help themselves.
Add to this again figures of the unintentionally homeless, homeless at
home and families in temporary accommodation
you get an impression of what life is like for low income
persons/families in the UK.
London is an exceptional case, but other large cities, Leeds, Liverpool,
Birmingham, Manchester, Sheffield etc are all not far behind.
The the figures concern people registered by local authorities, there
are also masses of itinerants, so called "Travellers", roaming the
country too.

Here are the definitions and categories of homelessness in the UK up to
2001 - the figures for the unintentionally homeless (registered victims
of poverty, unemployment, family break-ups etc.) are astounding but true:
http://www.cuhp.org/admin/EditDocStore/UK_shortpaper_Paris.pdf
Douglas