Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless "smug Europeans"
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Jan 21 04:32:30 2007

The figures for unemployment in Germany are heavily influenced by the
new laws forcing the unemployed into so called "1 Euro Jobs" - a sort of
work or starve measure in which people perform menial work for only 1
Euro per hour, the money earned in these jobs becomes a supplement to
unemployment benefits under ALGII (generally known as Hartz IV, and
named after the the VW executive Hartz who is currently in court on
corruption charges). Although these people are working, they are not in
a position to live on their earnings without further state subsidies -
however, they don't appear in the unemployment statistics. QED, the
unemployment figures look "good" but aren't . Further reductions in the
figures are a result of the "ICH AG" system which provides people with
subsidies to start in self-employment - the success rates here are very
low.

After becoming redundant a few years ago, I took advantage of a
"bridging grant" to set up my own business in translating, fortunately a
resounding success.

Nathan is correct in mentioning that unemployment figures are actually
falling in parts of Europe, for example Denmark is actively seeking
workers from Germany, and has representatives in German Job Centres in
the northernmost German state of Schleswig Holstein, similarly, many
long term unemployed German workers have crossed the border into the
Netherlands to work, for instance,  on tomato picking. Strangely enough,
long-term unemployed Germans were not prepared to take low- earnings
jobs picking vegetables and fruit  in Germany - jobs traditionally
performed by itinerant Polish workers - not only this, the farmers
reported that German workers were either unable or unwilling to perform
these jobs satisfactorily. Job vacancies in German are rising, but
predominantly for qualified and highly qualified workers, there are
still very few opportunities for unqualified workers to earn a living
wage, or for that matter for anyone, qualified or unqualified and over
the age of 50 (as I personally discovered during 2 1/2 years of
unemployment - 30 years of experience in geophysics just doesn't count
if you are over 50, though I eventually got a 7 month job as a
consultant for geothermal energy exploration - in the company that had
made me redundant in the previous year).
Douglas