Subject: [Leica] Drowning in digital files
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Mon Jan 22 02:49:06 2007

Hi Peter,

I have been thinking about these issues a lot since I converted to
(mainly) digital in 2004, and have arrived at the following solution
for digital images. As background, I shoot RAW only.

1) I copy the RAW images to the internal HD of my computer.
2) I then go through them with a viewer (ACDSee on the PC, Photo
Mechanic on the Mac) and delete the ones that are obviously garbage--
as in shaken, misfocused, grossly under- or overexposed etc. Because
my bias is towards keeping images, and because storage is cheap, I
only eliminate perhaps 20% of all images at this stage.
3) The images that survive the cut above are opened in Photoshop, and
the required color, levels and other adjustments are applied, except
sharpening. The resulting TIFF files are saved in a separate
subdirectory, still on the internal HD.
4) The images that I want to print or display on the web are
sharpened and saved as PSD files, and the ones for the web are of
course also saved as JPG files of appropriate size.

So, at this point, on my computer's HD, I have a subdirectory with
RAW files, another subdirectory of TIFF files, a third subdirectory
of PSD files, and a fourth one of JPG files. All TIFF and PSD files
are 16-bit, so the full information is retained.

Now for the archiving part:

5) After I have created the PSD and JPG files, I move the RAW and
TIFF files to an external HD, and I also make a backup on high-
quality DVDs, so each of those files exists on two separate media.
For added security, I keep the DVDs in my office so that if the house
burns down or is burglarized etc., I will not lose my images.

6) Once I have made the backups in step 5 above, I delete the RAW and
TIFF files from the internal HD. I just keep the PSDs and JPGs there,
and I do not make backups of those, since the only difference between
the TIFF and PSD files is that the latter have had sharpening
applied, so I can easily replicated them from the backed-up TIFF
files. Same thing with the JPGs--they are just downsized versions of
the PSD files, so no need to back them up.

In this way, I have good backups, including one set off-site, and I
can easily access the archived images on the external HDs when
needed. I am currently on my 3rd external HD and have just bought the
4th one. The good news is that they are getting bigger and cheaper--
the latest one I bought is 500 GB and cost 159 Euro, so about 30
cents/GB.

A note about the DVDs: there have indeed been concerns about the
longevity of this medium, just like there was about CDs. My solution
is to buy archival DVDs with a gold coating. They are more expensive
than the cheap stuff one picks up at the computer megastores, but
these are my images, so I am prepared to spent the 3 Euros per DVD I
have to pay at s-Color in Amsterdam.

With scanned images, I basically follow the procedure above, except
that I do not make the 2nd backup on DVDs, since I have the original
negatives and could always re-scan them.

Nathan