Subject: [Leica] Drowning in digital files
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Mon Jan 22 06:41:22 2007

At 02:11 AM 1/22/2007, you wrote:
>My inclination is to keep:
>
>1. RAW file or the original scan.
>2. Final version, unsharpened (8-bit TIFF, PNG, or high-quality JPG)
>3. Reduced JPG for Web.

That's exactly what I keep for each file, Peter.  I burn them on DVDs
and use iView MediaPro to keep up with where everything is.  My new
laptop will burn the new double layer DVDs but I haven't tried those
yet.  Since DVDs have been know to fail, I also keep files on
separate hard drives that I store when they fill up.  So far, I have
18 external hard drives of various sizes.  The smaller ones seem more
reliable and I've pretty much settled on the Seagate 120GB drives for
storage of photo files.  I use bigger 300GB drives for backup of
current files on the computer's internal hard drives.

>Note that I use Picture Window Pro, not Photoshop, so I end up
>saving several different files at various stages of editing, rather
>than having layers in one humongous file.  Then again, I don't need
>a gamer's PC with 2 gigs of RAM just to get by.

My new laptop has 4GB of RAM and is blazingly fast :-)  I've really
gotten spoiled and my big older computer seems to run like molasses now.

Tina