Subject: [Leica] Breaking the tape for Ted, M8 battery woes...
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Mon Jan 22 15:13:54 2007

Larry wrote (in part):

>Does the M7 suffer sudden battery death? By
>the way, someone told me that 5Ds also go catatonic in the cold, so this is
>nothing new.

Depends on the temperature, but ALL batteries fail when it gets cold.

With my R8+DMR, I do fine down to -10C (25F) but at -18C (0F) or so,
a battery is good for a bout 15 minutes before it dies.  It really
depends on how long you can keep it warm.

This has nothing to do with being Canon or Nikon or Leica. It has to
do with the chemistry of batteries, and the chemistry does not work
very well in cold temperatures.

The second problem is trusting the battery indicator on any
camera.  They tend to tell you it's fully charged, moments before
it's dead!  Most give very little warning.  So, if you know you're
going to be taking some important shots, ALWAYS fully charge your
battery first!   With Lithium-Ion batteries, there is no "memory
effect" and you can top 'em up, anytime. And, you're wise to do so.

Hope this helps, for next time.

Cheers!

---

David Young,