Subject: [Leica] IMG: Tortillas by Firelight
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue Jan 23 08:03:21 2007

At 10:54 AM 1/23/2007, you wrote:
>The hand-made tortillas in  the photograph look like they're made of corn ,
>which I favor  at a tiny taco stand in Santa Fe, N.M., crisp and filled with
>bits of  chicken, lettuce, raw onions and salsa picante...Years ago,
>in Mexico
>City, I  got them that way at similar stands downtown at two or three in the
>morning...

Thanks, Bob.  Yes, these are made of dried corn that has been soaked
overnight in lime water and then ground between two stones.  She put
fresh goat cheese, from HPI goats, between two tortillas and melted
it.  That and coffee was our supper.  The best tortillas I have ever
had were what they call green corn tortillas, not as in the color
green but as in fresh.  They cut the kernels off of fresh new corn
and grind that to make tortillas.  They can only make those when the
corn is just getting ripe, though.

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.tinamanley.com