Subject: [Leica] M8, Macro 90 and nature photography
From: imagist3 at mac.com (Lottermoser George)
Date: Thu Jan 25 12:18:15 2007

Thus far I've found the auto white balance to perform poorly under
indoor lighting conditions. However, the manual white balance
performs almost too well. By that I mean that it seems to neutralize
to point of perfection, at times losing the illusion of warmth
(easily recovered in processing). I carry a 4x4 inch piece of
flexible translucent material (which I use for softening light in the
studio), place it in front of the lens, and perform the manual white
point task once in a room upon entering a new condition. Takes me
back to my old video days.

If you need 2500 ISO - you may be disappointed. 1250 is quite
useable. And 640 works quite well, 320 performs as good as or better
than film. If folks want to compare M8 noise with Canon (or other
chip) noise I think they should also consider rendering of fine
detail at related speeds. For me this is an ongoing balancing act
with the results in print as the only real judge.

Bottom line: if, as you say, you're happy with what you're using, why
change?

In my case. I found myself no longer happy with the work flow of film
processing and scanning; while at the same time wishing for the M
form factor. The M8 brings the form factor in line with my work flow
beautifully - so far.

Have a look at:
<http://www.imagist.com/m8/iso640_manual_wb.jpg>
for sample of manual white balance
<http://www.imagist.com/m8/iso640_auto_wb.jpg>
for sample of auto white balance
<http://www.imagist.com/m8/iso640_noise.jpg>
for sample of noise at 640
<http://www.imagist.com/m8/iso1250_noise0_noise.jpg>
for sample of noise at 1250

Samples hand held, 1/15 sec, f:4, with 35 lux asph.

For me - the M8 replaces the M6's and their mostly Black and White
film chores. When the 1250 color noise is eliminated by processing as
a black and white image - the 1250 looks as good as or better, in
print, than films at that ISO.

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george@imagist.com