Subject: [Leica] M8, Macro 90 and nature photography
From: etruscello at yahoo.com (Tom Pastorello)
Date: Thu Jan 25 10:56:02 2007

Dear Leonard,
   Thank you for sharing your nature photography.
Your images are hauntingly beautiful.  You make great
use of subtlety of texture, contrast and color -- in
luscious pastels.  I'm reminded of Nathan Farb's
brilliant work in the Adirondacks.
   They are wonderful images technically as well.  You
used my favorite Leica-M long lens, the Macro 90.  And
I was very impressed to see what the M8 could do
especially at 640 ISO and higher.  Now I'm wondering
again if I should buy an M8.
   Here is why I still hesitate.  I ask you and those
on the list who use the M8 to please respond if you
think my reservations are not warranted.  I would use
the M8 the way I use my M6 -- for available light
work.  This is where the M6 shines and, from what I've
read, the M8 fails.  I understand that under tungsten
light I would see poor WB compensation, bad noise
above ISO 640 (apparently, high ISO noise is worse in
tungsten light than outdoor light) and IR sensitivity
color casts.  (IR filters would not be a solution for
me since I need speed under available light and a
filter factor of 20-40 won't do.)
   Do I overstate the limitations of the M8 under
tungsten light?  I'm otherwise happy with the M6, film
and digital processing of the film.  Thank you for any
information, insights, advice ...
   Tom P.

Looking for earth-friendly autos?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center/