Subject: [Leica] Sold My Two R-D1's Today
From: leica at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sat Jan 27 04:35:17 2007

David

I respect your decision, and can understand your concerns about the RD1,
especially the reliability of the RF. I was in the same evaluating mill
(film or digital, if digital, RF or DSLR?) like you, but finally decided for
the R-D1s. As I'm not a professional photographer like you, I can (or have
to) live with it's flaws.

But you can not blame digital technology for losing files. I have lost film
negative rolls in the past, too, or processed them wrongly or inadequately,
without blaming the film technology for that. I just accepted it as a part
of the risk. Same with digital. I have lost important client data after a
harddisc crash 10 years ago (and lost the client, too) and since then do
backup everything, including my RAW files. But following Murphy's law it
could happen again at any time. That's life.

The battery issue is true. It's boring to think about it, but, once more,
one must accept and handle it. I have bought 3 additional accus, have two in
the camera bag, one on my desk or in my pocket, one in the camera. Change
and recharge them frequently.

As for the file writing delay, it's true it's slow especially in RAW+JPG
mode, but usually not a matter. The only moment where it was too slow for me
(sports event), I changed to "JPG only" mode. But it's true a DSLR with AF
and fat buffer does a much better job in such situations. OTOH, when I think
of the motordriven Nikon F2 that a friend had borrowed me for many years, it
was shooting horryibly fast - but for 36 exposures only. I lost more time
for un-and recharging the film rolls than with a slow digital camera.

I must say the convenience and imediateness of the digital post processing
keeps me on the digital side. Shoot, go home, look at your pictures. Live
with the flaws. Nothing's perfect.

I'm happy to read that Vick bought one of your Epson's, so it stays in the
family. Looking forward to yours and his further picture posts,

Didier