Subject: [Leica] LUG book reaches downunder
From: dankhong at gmail.com (D Khong)
Date: Mon Jan 29 12:06:10 2007

Friends

I received the LUG book yesterday. My thanks to Alastair who helped with the
ordering of my copy.

To me this book is special because:

1. The project is like an international  LUG pot-luck party in which
everybody who wishes to attend brings along a dish or two to share.  Each of
us naturally brought our favourite or what was meaningful to us. The only
rule was that the dish must be recently prepared (in 2006!).

2. In this day and age of digital overkill, decent hardcopies are becoming
especially rare and precious. I cannot imagine the mammoth task of wading
through and relooking at the thousands of images (albeit how good) that get
lost in that closet of a hard-drive. I get monitor mental fatigue after 30
minutess of watching repetitive images captured by trigger happy camera
users who see no cost to them in pressing the shutter another few times. Can
one imagine what you would do if your father left you a few DVDs and he
said, "Well son, I am leaving you 15,000+ images (ranging from 80kB to 5MB
files sizes) that I have captured over many years. Enjoy them".

A book is different. You can use it anywhere, anytime, share it with so many
other people, flip to and fro, no PC or Mac or batteries needed, and keep it
for posterity. It might probably appreciate with time.

Thanks again to Jim for making the project especially meaningful to the
folks who attended the yearbook "pot-luck" party.

Happy snaps,

Dan Khong