Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer ... ?
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Wed Jan 31 18:58:34 2007

Jeffery Smith wrote:
I don't think I'll ever buy a Gateway again. Mine is about 4 years old, and
I tried to upgrade my memory to 1gb. Only Gateway sells the memory, and they
wanted a preposterous sum of money for it (like more money than it would
cost to buy a brand new faster HP with 2gb of memory). To me, that is
customer support at its very worst.
=============================

Oops!  I just bought one (GT5224).  After reading Jeffery's experience I
checked to see how much it would cost to add another 1gig.  The first place
I Googled up wanted $119, so that doesn't sound too bad.  FWIW, I was
heavily influenced by price when I chose Gateway.  CompUSA had a rebait
going and the after-rebait price was $399 for dual-core Pentium D
915 running at 2.8 gHz, 1 gB DDR2, 250 gB HD, and DVD burner.  I already had
a newish flat-panel monitor.  So far I'm happy with Gateway but that survey
didn't sound too promising.  Forgot to mention there's a free upgrade from
XP Media Edition to Vista Premium which I'm just about to order.

Wish me luck ;-)

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE