Subject: [Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?
From: rbaron at concentric.net (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Wed Jan 31 16:46:06 2007

My trusty Dell P4 1.7 ghz with 1 gb of ram turned 5 years old this
month, and like me, it is starting to have trouble keeping up with the
younger generation....so I would like to ask for the wisdom of the LUG
regarding a replacement.

Aside from surfing the internet and a little word processing and Quicken
   financial and such, my main need is for a machine that will quickly
operate the very latest versions of photoshop and lightroom and their
various third-party plugins and maybe an image cataloging program if I
can settle on one I like.

I am not a gamer and although I might watch a movie on it I don't see
myself doing much video editing.

I see three routes:

1. A new Dell;

2. A new local shop built; or

3. A new Mac Pro.

It would be easier for me to stick with Windows XP Pro because I know
it, but I bought a G4 Powerbook to learn on last year and in light of
the new intel chip Macs that allow the running of some windows programs
  I am not totally Mac averse.

A little while back people were speaking poorly of Dell quality.  Has
that changed?

Obviously the key elements I need to consider are which processor and
which video card; I know to load up on ram.

With those questions, and with a projected budget as far below $3,000 US
as I can stay, what is the current wisdom? What specifications do I need?

Many thanks for your help.

--Bob Baron / Oklahoma City

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?)
Reply from charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer) ([Leica] What Desktop Computer to Buy These Days?)