Subject: [Leica] More M8 impressions
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Thu Feb 1 00:08:04 2007

Dear Luggers,
Here are my impressions of my M8 camera after a week?s use in
Pondicherry, India.
First, how nice to get back to the size of an M camera after hauling
around bulky Dslr?s with their zoom lenses. Second, how nice to have
a rangefinder that is accurate in both horizontal and vertical planes
? just as it came out of the box ? not like my three RD-1?s. Third,
how nice to go back to fast street shooting without having to use a
rapidwinder ? the Tri-Elmar was my most used lens in the daytime and
mostly at the 50mm setting at f8.0 or f11.0 to use the depth of field
to cover any focusing errors.

I took over 1400 pictures in 7 days ? all of them combined RAW/JPEG.
Most days the battery lasted through the day but I was fortunate to
have a spare ? especially imported from Singapore in advance of the
trip (thanks Roland!)

It has not been so much fun trying to deal with RAW on my MAC system.
I tried Capture One but am not used to the interface so went back to
downloading files using my old faithful Nikon View 6 and then opening
the DNR files using the trial copy of Silky Pix 3.0. After adjusting
a DNR photo in SP I save it in JPEG to a separate folder for
developed pictures. This works pretty well but is quite slow on my
system and I have yet to master batch processing with SP. I have now
purchased the 3.0E version of Silky Pix so that looks like the way I
will be going.

Out of my 1400 photos I had one example of a green line down the
center of a picture of the sun rising over the Bay of Bengal ? where
the sun was just at the edge of the frame. In the next picture when I
had moved the camera slightly the green line disappeared. In two
cases I managed to product bluish pictures on start up ? caused, I
think, by pushing the shutter before the camera was ready to go. For
night photos I used mostly the 35 Lux Asph and that lens with ISO
1250 was a formidable low light combo and focused accurately. Two
evenings in Pondicherry there was a free music festival and to that I
took along my 90 Elmarit. It really wasn?t fast enough for the dim
stage lighting and I tried using ISO 1250 and adjusting the EV by two
stops to avoid using ISO 2500. The results were mostly muddy and not
pleasing. In fact, the two shots I took at ISO 2500, after cleaning
up for noise, were better. Also, my latest style Elmarit front
focuses on the M8 and needs to be sent for adjustment. Since my 50
lux focuses accurately as do all my other wide angle lenses I assume
it is the lens and not the camera that needs adjustment.

I don?t yet have the IR filters for the lenses. I experienced little
trouble with colour shifts and the infamous magenta cast under
tungsten light ? except in three or four night shots. When that
happened, after downloading I transformed the pictures into Black and
White ? the easy way out.

I don?t have any difficulties with the camera ? my problems are with
processing the images after they have been taken. This would be less
of a problem if the Auto White Balance was more accurate in JPEG mode
but it isn?t and you have to work around it. Luggers who are expert
at Capture One or Photoshop won?t have much of a problem I suspect.
For me, for now, SilkyPix is proving an easier and effective solution.

Hope to have some pictures up to show shortly,

Howard (back in Hong Kong)