Subject: [Leica] New to Group
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Mon Feb 5 18:49:13 2007

Fred,
Good to have you on the list.  Congratulations on choosing Don Goldberg to
repair your LTM; he is probably the best choice in North America.

As to the best B&W film, my first choice would be T400CN a C41 choice.  You
do not do your own processing and a C41 film gives you great latitude and
processing that will in all probability by correct.  If you want a
traditional B&W film then I would consult your lab and see what the have
good luck with.  This will take more than a casual conversation as most labs
will tell you they can do all.  The reality is that some films will do
better in the developer they use.  So, a deep conversation on what developer
they use and how it handles common film types.  In reality, Tri-X will be
one of the top choices as will HP5.

What would I tell you?  I find Fuji Neopan 400 and 1600 to be wonderful
general purpose films but I develop them myself and so can pick the
developer that makes the film do best.

Don
don.dory@gmail.com