Subject: [Leica] On the Loading of Magnetic Cameras, Especially Leica Thread-Mount
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Feb 8 19:24:06 2007

We spent huge quantities of electrons discussing
this on the Leica Users' Group during the first decade of its existence.

In the beginning was the word ... well, to be
more precise, in the beginning was bulk film
only, and the owner had to cut film and load his
own cassettes:  Leitz marketed a handy
proprietary cassette, and Zeiss Ikon was shortly
afterwards to introduce their own superior
cassette design.  Then came factory rolled
preloaded film.  (This was the time when
"tailor-made" cigarettes were sold individually
in Ma and Pa stores, by the way, to keep this in
perspective:  most cigarette smokers then rolled
their own, as I used to do back in the Red Dog
Saloon era when I did my own car work.  I've
mellowed, and Bull Durham is now spurlos versunkt
and only commemorated in the name of a Minor
League baseball team.)  A preload was a roll of,
generally, 36 exposures which you took into a
darkroom and loaded into your Leitz or Zeiss
cassette or the like.  Then you shot the film and
took it back into the darkroom, unloaded it and
developed it.  By the middle 1930's, film
companies began to market film in cassettes
based, I believe, on an AGFA design.  From the
day of the first preloads, there was no agreement
on the length of the leader.  Most companies
adopted a 4" film leader but some held to a
shorter 2".  Leitz thread-mount cameras had a
rather delicate constitution and clean loading
really required the long leader:  Leitz claimed
that any work-around to avoid the use of a 4"
leader might ran the risk of causing chips of
film which might foul the advance mechanism.  To
be fair,  both Steve Grimes and Tom Abrahamson
have told me that they have never found any
film-chip jams in the many LTM cameras they have
overhauled or repaired, but both admitted that
they often found small quantities of film chips
in the innards of such cameras.  Leitz went so
far as to insert instructions for trimming the
leader to have a 4" leader from the later IIIc's
through the last IIIg's.  These were visible when
the baseplate was removed.  Leitz went to some
lengths to allow for the use of short-leader
films in the M cameras (though, as Stan notes,
this does not go for the M8!).  (Leitz made the
mistake of marketing a "Quick Load" kit for the
M3 which generally did not work at all and when
it did work, worked best with a 4" leader -- many
Leica shooters came to refer to these as "quack
load" kits for their pronounced
unreliability.  Leitz GENERALLY had good ideas
but when they had bad ones, such as this kit or
the Imarect auxiliary VF, they came up with doozies.)

 From the 1950's to the early 1970's, film
manufacturers went to short leaders to cut down
on production costs.  Around 1975, Kodak and AGFA
and Ilford made the switch.  From that time,
anyone using Leica LTM cameras other than
bulk-loaders had to find a workaround to allow
the loading of short-leader film into their IIIa or the like.

This issue really is a non-starter but seems to
present a significant problem for some folks.  I
just pull out my Swiss Army knife (a smaller
Wenger when I am in a suit or a larger Victorinox
when I am in my more customary shorts or blue
jeans) and clip by sight and I've never had much
of a problem, as it only takes a few seconds to
do this.  But some seem hampered in the doing of
such a simple operation.  These are the folks for
whom Leitz marketed a film gate which allowed
precision clipping of films:  you pulled out the
short leader film into this, dropped the gate
over it, and then cut it precisely with a razor
blade.  Again, my Mark I Eyeball works just fine,
but mileage DOES vary and others like these film
gates.  There were a number of quite useable
Japanese clones which were marketed widely in the 1950's and later.

The Leitz cassettes remained in production into
the late 1980's, and my M6 Wetzlar takes them,
though Solms M6's do not unless retrofitted with
an earlier baseplate.  The same design was
marketed for twenty years or so after the end of
the War by Canon for use in their own LTM cameras
though these will also work in Leitz
cameras.  The Zeiss Ikon cassette lasted until
the demise of Zeiss Ikon as a camera company in
1973;  Nikon marketed a clone until 1990 or
so.  The Zeiss Ikon design was especially nice in
that you could use one on both sides, and could
clip the film if you wanted to process an
especially valuable or "hot" string of frames, a
matter of import to photo-journalists.  Thus, if
you came across, say, an auto accident, you could
shoot ten shots or so, advance the film a couple
of frames, open the camera and cut the film,
preserving the rest of the roll, and have those
ten shots developed for printing in the late
editions of the newspaper and shades of
Spiderman!  Capa died with a Nikon RF and a
Contax around his neck, both with such cassettes
in them.  The Soviets also produced clones of
both the Leitz and Zeiss Ikon cassettes, though
those for Leica cameras seem rare in the West and
I have only seen photographs of them.  The clone
of the Zeiss Ikon cassette remained in production at least until 1986.

"Pre-loaded" 35mm film disappeared during World
War II in the West, but continued to be available
in the Soviet Union up to the fall of
Communism.  I have a couple of such rolls of
SMENA film though I have never opened them or used them.

AGFA and ORWO and other European houses normally
sold bulk film in 30 meter rolls (roughly, 98.4
feet), while Kodak and Ilford sold theirs in 100
foot rolls.  AGFA up to the end sold its
technical films in the US in 200 foot rolls.

This is a complex matter but one fascinating to me.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!