Subject: [Leica] Rome in May
From: cummer at netvigator.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Fri Feb 9 16:32:53 2007

Dear Alastair (and Helen)
Rome is one of our absolutely favorite places in the World! Suggest
you stay in the old section of the city. The Albergo Santa Chiara
(www.albergosantachiara.com) is a group of houses developed as a
hotel just around the corner from the Pantheon. If that is full
(Europeans knowing a good thing populate it frequently and early) the
Albergo del Senato (www.albergodelsenato.it) hotel at the corner of
the square where the Pantheon is located is a good alternative. In
May its roof top terrace will be open to watch the action in the
Piazza della Rotonda below. We have stayed in both. Don't miss the
Villa Borghese - you need half a day and must book tickets in
advance. Learn to take the electric 8 passenger buses that glide
around the old quarter - their routes are not the same coming and
going but it doesn't matter - the scenery is great either way and the
occupants equally interesting. Connect up, if you can, with the
unsanctioned history tours run by (mostly) American history majors
studying in Rome - they are great value and you also learn what it's
like to live in Rome as a foreigner. We accidentally caught up with
one such group outside the Vatican and used them to take three
walking tours. Watch your belongings closely in crowded public
places.  Rome in May - wish we could join you!
Cheers,
Howard (and Esther)

Replies: Reply from firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin) ([Leica] Rome in May)