Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT: To Crop Or Not
From: darkbulb at gmail.com (R S)
Date: Fri Feb 9 17:20:55 2007

I don't think anyone before now has mentioned 'respect' before now so I am
not sure how that popped up.

I've simply stated that personally I have found that I do place some value
or merits on a photography that was taken with tools that were fitting to
the final composition. To extrapolate that to the below is not something
that at least I would want to do.

Bottom line, for me, is that if I still have two equal-looking photos in
front of me there is tendency within me to 'prefer' the photo that was
cropped in a viewfinder using a tool (camera/lens) that was fitting to that
scene.

I have myself taken photos and cropped them to a panoramic format and I
don't think there is anything wrong with that - but I also know that I would
like that final photo more if I had taken it and not cropped it in
post-processing. Silly? Maybe. It comes down to how much the process matters
to you - and WHAT process. I am sure there are people out there that are
more impressed by the completely opposite - coming to a scene with a tool
that is not the best suited for it but in post processing being able to turn
it around and make a beautiful photo. Diversity and difference of opinions
is never bad.

/R