Subject: [Leica] Re: Encarnation
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Feb 10 11:03:00 2007

On Feb 10, 2007, at 10:10 AM, Phillipe wrote:

> (Tina) I almost always choose your wider crops because they include
> social
> information every time, which is less apparent in the crops.
> And I do think that for these kind of photos, the social environment
> is necessary.

Phillipe,

You raise an interesting point about the balance between photography
as art and photography as an information source. Karen Nakamura
teaches a course on Photoethnography at Yale which uses photographs
as a means of presenting cultural and social information. In her web
site she advocates the use of wide angle lenses as a way of including
as much relevant information about the scene as possible. I once had
an editor who felt the same way. He viewed the camera as the reader's
surrogate eyeball and wanted the picture to show just what a viewer
would see if standing in the same position as the photographer. On
the other hand most photographers who aspire to creating images of
artistic significance suggest concentrating and eliminating
extraneous and distracting detail. In movies, the close crop has more
emotional impact than the wide screen panorama.

I have no answer. Talk amongst yourselves - -

Larry Z