Subject: [Leica] Best camera deal ever
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri Feb 16 18:05:23 2007

I have had a few good deals.

Back around 1993, a fellow member of my Army
Reserve unit told me that they had a "Lieca"
camera for $5 at the Fort Lee Thrift Shop, and
would I be interested.  I figured that $5 was
worth a risk, so he bought for me a IIIc (K)
Leica.  I was stunned when he passed it on to me,
and I was in a moral quandry.  I didn't
particularly LIKE this guy, though I'd down him
since he was in the Branch Basic Course after
mine at Aberdeen in 1975.  But honesty seemed the
order of the day.  I advised him of the real
value of the camera and pointed out that I would
use and vet the camera and would then sell it for
at least a thousand dollars, and would he like a finder's fee?

He just said that the price was the price and so
be it.  (I had been selected for promotion and he
wanted a copy of my promotion packet and cover
letter, I suspect.)  He reminded me that he
collected WWII military vehicles and suggested
that I pick up the next Command Car I found at a
yard sale.  And the deal was sealed.

I had three weeks of great interest documenting
this camera and pushing some rolls through it. I
then called a buddy of mine, a dealer in
Richmond, who immediately drove to Roanoke to
drop twenty gorgeous hundred-dollar bills on my
desk for that camera, bills I then took over to
buy the 1984 Audi 4000S which is still my daily
driver and which is the best car I have ever
owned, and that's saying something.  He also
scored a Contax-mount Amatol from me, a lens I
have always regretted selling, but not all that
much, and Jem Kime will probably find me another.

I know live nine miles or so from the Fort Lee
Thrift Shop and I do have base privileges, but
I've never been there though, I suppose, I should visit it.

I've had lots of other deals which worked really
well with me but most of these are now sitting on my shelves.

One more short story.  Those of us interested in
Leica and Zeiss lore had argued for years over
the putative existence of the 1.5/7.5cm Carl
Zeiss Jena Biotar in LTM.  One popped up, and
Charlie Barringer scored it.  A few weeks later,
Jim Williams -- known to many of us from Stephen
Gandy's RF List -- offered to sell me his for
$100 and a copy of the Zeiss book Charlie and I
had written, and, truly, Robert was your
uncle.  Two more have surfaced since then and I
haven't a clue what this would bring at a serious
auction. But it is not for sale, as it is a grand
lens and on a good day comes close to my 1.4/75 Summilux.

And then there was the time I picked up a lens
from the almost-mythic Zeiss Lens Collection for
$5.  My son can worry about the disposal of that
as this will pass to him as part of the Lares and
Penates along with my father's dress saber.

Great deals are out there all the time.  You just
have to adjust your karma to be looking out for such deals ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!