Subject: [Leica] Mac question
From: ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter)
Date: Sat Feb 17 08:20:25 2007

On Feb 17, 2007, at 11:01 AM, Phil Swango wrote:

> I'm not a Mac user but I have a question someone here can probably
> answer.
> I've heard about running Windows on a Mac using Bootcamp,
> Parallels, or by
> having a double-boot system if you have one of the Intel processor
> models.
> But last night I saw a sign at CompUSA that said Apple would void the
> warranty on any Mac found to be loaded with Bootcamp or any other
> un-approved software.  Can someone clear this up for me?

My understanding.

They don't SUPPORT them. You can't get help from Apple techs. It
doesn't void anything.

> First, what's the difference between Bootcamp and Parallels?

Bootcamp makes you decide whether you want Mac or Windows on any
given boot.

Parallels runs in an OSX window, so you can run Windows and OSX at
the same time -- no reboot to go to the other system.

> Do you need an
> Intel processor to run Windows under them?

yes

> Do you need either one if you
> have an Intel processor Mac?

Every new Mac is Intel now

>   How stable is Windows on a Mac?

XP runs as well as XP ever does on Parallels. Got no experience with
Bootcamp although I understand it is the better solution for gamers.
We run an old database based on FoxPro with few problems.

> And finally,
> how about Vista on a Mac?

no experience

> Honestly, I don't need to know any of this but I'm curious.

Upcoming features in Parallels make it look like the solution. Other
emulators are said to be on the way, but Parallels seems to work well
right now.

Ric