Subject: [Leica] Mac question
From: shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka)
Date: Sat Feb 17 10:11:22 2007

i just got my wife a macbook for her birthday in jan, so i am
new to this, but here's my understanding.

Boot Camp lets you run your mac as either a osx-only or windows-only
computer.  when you installi it, you partition your drive into 2
partitions, and you do a complete windows install into the new partition,
the original partition containing your osx.  thereafter when you boot
your computer, you choose which slice to boot from.

Boot Camp is made by apple, so i don't understand the
CompUSA threat.  it is in a late beta phase.

Parallels is a 3rd party software similar in spirit to the old
Connectix Virtual PC.  Parallels runs windows in a virtual
machine within osx so you can run mac and windows programs
simultaneously.  the newer versions of parallels allow you to run
the windows programs "rootless" which means you don't have to see
the windows desktop.

Both software run only on intel macs.

i started installing boot camp on my wife's machine, but frankly rebooting
to get windows is not really attractive.  parallels seems more like
the way to go, but my understanding is that it requires you create
a virtual drive, which is a really huge file which contains the
windows filesystem (similar to virtual pc).  i'd much prefer being able
to use a second partition a la boot camp to install windows.  the best
scenario would be the ability to use the second partition to run either
boot camp or parallels, but i don't think they are there yet.

-rei