Subject: [Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: firkin at ncable.net.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Sat Feb 17 14:57:04 2007

On 18/02/2007, at 8:59, Robert D. Baron wrote:

> I was in Dallas Texas last week and stopped by Cooters Village
> Camera, the Leica dealer in Highland Park Village Center.  Very
> knowledgeable and nice folks.
>
> They kindly allowed me to try their demo M8 with a couple of my
> lenses (Noctilux and 28mm Summicron ASPH) and sold me an SD card of
> my own I could then bring home and look more closely at the test
> shots I took.
>
> I have been highly impressed with the shots and comments posted
> here recently by the members of the Non-Whining M8 Photographers
> Association (you know who you are).
>
> I did have the usual quibbles of my own (the shutter tripping and
> re-cocking noise will take getting used to; too much digital image
> noise compared to Canon at higher ISO; is it *really* worth
> $5,000US?) but overall I can see how it would be great to use in
> many situations instead of my current Canon digital behemoths.
>
> One question I have is about the color it produced on my test;  I
> may be having brain fade and not remembering something I should
> know, but please take a look at these 4 test shots from ISO 160 to
> 2500 (you can see the ISO of each when you click through from the
> thumbnails to the full size images) and tell me why there is such a
> color shift as the ISO increases:  http://www.bobbaron.com/
> M8TestFeb07/index.htm

I have found that the wb on the M8 is pretty variable. I think it may
be slow: if I take 3 shots of the same subject in a row, the wb often
varies quite a lot. If I give it time to write to the card then take
the second, it seems more reliable. Because I'm shooting all RAW, I
just keep it on "daylight" most of the time and adjust later. I have
set up profiles with slightly different settings:

Daylight on low ISO

Daylight on mid ISO with b/w preview

Autobalance on high ISO for interiors etc

I can move between the profiles quickly and change them on the fly
from there.

Cheers

Alastair

Replies: Reply from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] I Tried an M8; Color Question)