Subject: [Leica] OT: medium format film and airport security
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sun Feb 18 07:18:32 2007

At 05:39 AM 2/18/2007, you wrote:
>I've heard (but we have ALL heard so much about these things) that if
>you try and protect it with heavy lead bags etc, that it just results
>in the operator jacking up the juice to try and get through to the
>contents. Defeats its purpose.
>
>Daniel

This is an urban legend.  The operators cannot turn up the power of the
hand luggage x-ray machines.  They can adjust the screens for contrast but
that's all.  The lead-lined bags do protect film.  I use a double strength
one for high speed film.  Operators either ask "what is that?", ignore it,
or say "you've got film in a lead-lined bag and we'll have to hand inspect
it."  Either way, the film is much safer in the lead-lined bag.   I've used
them for hundreds of trips through many airports.  I learned the hard way
by having film ruined before I got lead-lined bags.  Thank goodness that is
something I never have to worry about again!!!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA
http://www.pbase.com/tinamanley/portfolio

Replies: Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:medium format film and airport security)