Subject: [Leica] Custom white balanced <WAS>: I Tried an M8; Color Question
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Feb 20 07:53:33 2007

On 2/20/07 7:44 AM, "Eric" <ericm@pobox.com> typed:

> Harrison:
>
>> If you are going to do this crutch why even try to do anything right
>> when you make the photo?
>
>> Shoot it right and it leads to a better file when you do convert and also
>> makes your time a lot quicker.  I feel the same way about exposure,
>> where even in RAW you can be pretty far off and still recover.
>
> Sounds like I offended you.  Sorry.  That was not my intent.
>
> Why use it?  Same reason I check the histogram occasionally, even though I
> couldn't do that with film.  Makes my life easier.  Checking the histogram
> doesn't degrade image quality.  Neither does setting white balance after
> the
> fact when shooting raw.
>
> Setting the correct exposure is something that you can't change after the
> exposure, so I'd assume that would be pretty important to do correctly up
> front.
>

> --
> Eric
> http://canid.com/

I've gone in phases on it back and forth. I'll get into mode where I do the
advanced light balance thing. Which is why I'm glad I bring the book to my
D200 with me. It does add to the weight of the package.

But more and more as I get comfortable with Bridge and the way it seems to
share the same Raw filter with Photoshop the more I've gotten to be a whiz
at balancing a  shot on the screen. Selecting all the rest. And then hitting
the key which makes that happen the same way to all the rest.
Or even doing a command option C command option paste thing where you copy
and past the settings from one shot to the other shot/s. That can be real
handy as you pick and chose which parameters you are really going to paste
in the end. In Lightroom who knows it will be a more cool thing to do. By
many Kelvin.
But I'd not underestimate the joys of getting a "scientific" reading at the
get go on the field. Its one of those good things to do like putting a grey
card in a shot and or using a color meter from film days. I think color
meters are less valuable now.

I think Eric should try taking a white balance reading one of these days and
Harrison should get down and dirty with his raw filters cutting and pasting
so his contact sheets on the screen have no "holes" in them.
Then compare notes.

Raw raw raw

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY