Subject: [Leica] Re: GPS
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Feb 25 11:12:22 2007

At 10:50 AM 2/25/2007, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >As far as knocking out GPS by hostile intent, it can only be done
 >over a very limited area, i.e. over a city or a harbor. Usually the
 >area is smaller than the accuracy limits of celestial navigation.
 >Furthermore, alternative electronic navigation methods (e.g. LORAN)
 >are even more useful than GPS in coastal areas. I'm glad the Air
 >Force and Navy stopped training navigators in celestial navigation
 >methods. Technology has demystified another arcane skill and saved us
 >taxpayers a bundle of money.

Larry

The Chinese are building rockets to knock out the
GPS satellites.  They tested one about a month
ago, successfully.  No satellites, no GPS.

And the Air Force still requires celestial
navigation for aircrew -- and they do have
precision chronometers and updated almanacs on
their aircraft.  It would be more than a bit
embarrassing if the Chinese took out the GPS grid
and our bombers on the way to clobber the PRC had
to stop to ask directions.  For that matter, it's
only been in the past twenty years that
commercial aircrew in international flights no
longer needed to know celestial navigation:  I
had a client at that time who was one of the last
to have had to pass an exam on it to get his ATR
endorsed for international flights.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!