Subject: [Leica] Re: GPS
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sun Feb 25 07:49:56 2007

On Feb 25, 2007, at 1:09 AM, Marc wrote:

> A decade back, the US Air Force and US Navy
> ceased requiring a knowledge of celestial
> navigation for navigators.  Still, these guys
> learn it, both for the elegance of it and for the
> hard reality that the GPS grid may be knocked out
> at any time by happenstance or evil intent.

At last a subject I know something about.

I learned celestial navigation in 1948 and served as a navigator on
half a dozen Newport to Bermuda sailboat races during the '50s. I
also taught navigation to NROTC cadets in a couple of colleges and
used it on my own boat for long open water passages. However for the
last couple of decades my beautifully made Heath Hezzanth sextant, a
device as precise as the Leica M3, has been sitting unused on my
closet shelf. It is a mistake to believe that celestial navigation is
a backup to a GPS. While it is possible to navigate crudely
(accuracy, plus or minus 50 NM) using only a sextant and a calendar,
precision navigation (plus or minus one mile) requires a chronometer
accurate to the second, an armful of annually updated books, a sharp
pencil and pad, and a clear view of the sun or stars. It also takes
several sightings and a few minutes of calculation to get a precise
fix. If it is cloudy, fuggedaboudtit. That's a New Jersey technical
term.

The GPS changed the rules of navigation. Through the magic of
technology, using a cheap cigarette pack sized device, an untutored
navigator could find his/her position with an accuracy of one meter
anywhere on the Earth's surface. It worked day or night in clear or
cloudy conditions. Using a photographic analogy, the GPS is
equivalent to auto exposure, auto focus, auto wind cameras. "Real"
photographers resisted automation for a long time but now we all use
it except when we want to be deliberately "retro." In fact if you go
into your local boating store or auto dealership you can buy a
navigation system that not only tells where you are but plots your
position on a map or chart and gives you the exact route to take to
reach your destination. The whole package costs less than a used 50
mm Summicron lens.

As far as knocking out GPS by hostile intent, it can only be done
over a very limited area, i.e. over a city or a harbor. Usually the
area is smaller than the accuracy limits of celestial navigation.
Furthermore, alternative electronic navigation methods (e.g. LORAN)
are even more useful than GPS in coastal areas. I'm glad the Air
Force and Navy stopped training navigators in celestial navigation
methods. Technology has demystified another arcane skill and saved us
taxpayers a bundle of money.

Now we can talk about how digital cameras have impacted the darkroom
culture.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Re: GPS)