Subject: [Leica] which medium format?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun Feb 25 13:26:29 2007

On 2/25/07 3:47 PM, "Lottermoser George" <imagist3@mac.com> typed:

> Right. However, someone moving into medium format for the first time,
> from 35mm (and especially M RF photography) in my experience, will
> have a bit of a shock at the shutter speeds and need for tripods,
> faster films, etc.
>
> Regards,
> George Lottermoser
> george@imagist.com

Its hard to get stuff in focus in medium format.
A normal is an 80 for 6x6.
And you get the same DOF as you do with an 80 in 35mm format.

But you find yourself wanting more as the image is so rich and you want to
blow it up big and see everything.

And the contacts are more fun to look at as you can see them so much easier.
With no loupe maybe.

But I did a lot of shooting in medium format at f16 and be there with a big
flash. Either battery powered on camera or in my hand.
Of which there is not one shot on my entire website.

But here is holding the flash in my hand with the camera on tripod
http://rabinergroup.com/ScooterPages/Jerry.html
f11 and be there I think. Blue mode Vivitar 283

Or with studio strobes.
A monoblock can get you a long way.
http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/CameraworkRudy.html
That one an early shot with my then new Rolleiflex TLR

And heres a tripod shot with my then new Hassy ELM. 30 years ago. About my
first roll with the system. A dream come true for me.
http://rabinergroup.com/ImagePages/Laterellefallspage.html
And 150 Sonnar f4. At f11 half a minute exposure maybe.

I reshot it with my DSLR last year. Just wasn't the same.
http://rabinergroup.com/EastWest/images/EW060613_142331.jpg
http://rabinergroup.com/EastWest/images/EW060613_143656.jpg
But I'm still working on those shots. Punching them up. Fleshing them out.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com