Subject: [Leica] Re: GPS
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Feb 25 15:20:26 2007

At 05:59 PM 2/25/2007, Lawrence Zeitlin wrote:

 >It required a herculean effort for the Chinese to knock out one
 >satellite. By the time two or three are disabled by hostile fire,
 >ICBM missiles will be on the way. ICBMs, SAC bombers and missile
 >carrying submarines don't rely solely on GPS anyway. They are guided
 >by inertial navigation systems. We are safe until the Chinese find a
 >way to disable gravity.

Larry

It required a minimal effort with old technology
for the Chinese to knock out that satellite of
theirs.  It was hardly a "herculean" task.  They
did this cleanly and clearly and without a
glitch.  You completely miss the point.

The Chinese (and probably the Russians) are
developing the ability to knock out all GPS
satellites.  The Russian GPS system is much
weaker than is that run by the US, but, trust me,
the Chinese are working to take that one out as
well.  In other words, if War becomes a reality,
the Chinese want to have the ability to knock out
everyone's GPS systems and so they should:  it
makes perfect sense from this lad's perspective.

Again, 2007 is 2007.  Look ahead to, say,
2020.  Do not sell the Chinese cheap, as the US
sold the Japanese cheap in 1941.  They do not
seek war but they want to be able to respond to a
western war threat to them, and they are as
paranoid as are the Russians about western intentions.

There is a continuing need for celestial
navigation.  Answer the basic question:  do you
want US bombers on their way to China to have to
stop off at Tokyo to ask for directions?  Men
don't ask for directions, after all.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!