Subject: [Leica] Re: GPS
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Feb 25 17:22:57 2007

GPS weapons are used for their pin point accuracy and their ability to
follow terrain.  Inertial navigation is used as well, but it
is inaccurate ( relative comment only).  GPS is absolute position, INS is a
relative position.

If I were in a plane, trying to "go" somewhere, fast, stealthy, and maybe
not on a  direct route, I would want or need GPS.  INS
will not do the job as well and specifically not as accurately.  If in a
bomber at 600+ MPH, I do not think celestial navigation is
a real player.

BTW, you all realize that our satellites ( including GPS satellites) are all
based upon celestial navigation themselves?  ( Look up
star trackers....)

GPS satellites are in specific orbits to cover an area of the world.  You do
not need to take them all out only those that are
functional in an area of interest.  If I remember correctly, in any area,
there are 6 satellites in use.  The other 18 ( or
whatever) do not "shine over" the area of interest.

Trivia...... the original application for commercial use of GPS was for
shipping, to keep ships off sand bars.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net